Mancino’s Pizza and Grinder Shops were established by Samuel Mancino, Sr. in the late 1950’s in St. Claire Shores, Michigan. The original concept is still prevalent in all the Mancino Shops today. The original recipes and good customer relations have never changed.
The “Grinder” had its earliest beginnings on the east coast during the WWI era when Italian immigrants set up sandwich shops close to the shipyards. These homemade sandwiches were a favorite of the hard-working men who ground off rivets on the metal warships. The friendly shop owners referred to these men as “grinders” and the ever-popular sandwiches also came to be known as “Grinders”.